So while Hugh was away, I got to play!! Ok really, I took this as my opportunity to grow as a person and try to learn new skills. One of the things I have learned and has come in very handy is making homemade tortillas. While I am far from being a pro at it, it has been fun to do and I just can't get enough of these!! They seem simple enough to make, so far I think I have only had one really good batch, and that was the first time I made them, and my teacher was teaching me how to make them. Don't get me wrong, every batch has been yummy tasting, but it just has not been the same as that first one. I learned from someone from Mexico who learned how to make Tortillas when she was 6. Can you believe that!! 6!! Katie is 6 and I still won't let her near stove when it is on! She was a great teacher and made me do everything authentically. I had to mix the dough with my own hands. Not even a spoon. I am so glad to have a new skill and I am still working on getting it right.

Another skill I learned was canning. I have canned freezer strawberry jam, shelf strawberry jam, peach freezer jam (didn't set so I have peach syrup), and pickles! I am so excited about the pickles. It is a recipe I got from a neighbor here who even grows her own pickling cucumbers. And they are delicious. The picture is just before I was going to pour the hot juice over the cucumbers. And it has been great not having to buy jam and knowing what went into my jam. I am hooked and I can't wait for next years season so I can make enough to last hopefully a year. I just moved our last frozen jar to the fridge and then we will be starting on out shelf jam. I also want to try canning peaches next year and taking another go at peach jam. Not sure what else I will try.
4 comments:
For me, there is nothing more rewarding than seeing the food I've grown "put up." Such a great skill to have!
Yum! Anyway you could pass on some info about making these yummy foods? Do you use an actual canner? We've canned/jarred pasta sauce, but with the plastic bell jar lids and we keep it in the fridge. I'd like to learn more about actual canning for longer term storage and use.
Good for you, Shanna! :)
Yummy!!!
Post a Comment