Have I told you about one of Katie's Christmas presents? Well, it was an early one. She got an incubator. It holds 7 chicken eggs. There is an option to buy an extra tray for it to hold 12 quail size eggs. She has already hatched 3 chicks. One died pretty early on. But the 2 that lived were fun to have around. She wanted to name them after the 7 dwarfs because there were 7 eggs. We got the eggs from a friend that already has 50+ chickens. Along with some ducks, turkeys, some goats and 2 emu's. They were bantam chicken eggs and they ended up being the kind that had curly feathers. It was fun for the few weeks we had them. When we were done we took them back to the friend.
I would post earlier pictures but I don't have them on the phone I am using at the moment.
So here we are a few weeks after taking them back to the friend and its time for another round. But this time....
QUAIL EGGS!! Look at the size difference between a large store bought egg and an itty bitty tiny quail egg. I found someone on craigslist that had the quail eggs. She was really nice and I was able to pick them up the same day (today). She evn sent me pictures of quail she had hatched recently and also of some adults she has.
She had about 30 quail in a pen in her garage. I don't plan on being that extream. But I think having quail will be an awesome experience. You can eat the quail eggs like chicken eggs or eat the quail like chicken.
Katie was excited when I showed her what I got. So I will post updates of the progress for my own records and for the fun if it. Apparently it takes 16 days for quail to hatch so I have a short bit for planning.
January 2024
2 years ago









No comments:
Post a Comment