Monday, September 29, 2008

Before and After


So my sister and I were at my parents house at the same time during the summer. our times here only overlapped about a week but then I was ready to go home. So she had asked me one day if she could do my hair and I agreed. I'm sure she was just bursting with joy inside because she had been waiting my whole life for me to say ok willingly. So the top picture is sort of the end results. She had a lot more fun that just curling my hair. She actually tried to make me look like her.
That is what this picture is. I think I look really goofy. But she had fun and that's all that counts. So now that she has had her fun I can get serious with my hair now.

Shawn has been battling cancer for 10 years now. He is currently in the hospital. He had a cyst growing in his tumor and making him worse and ended up having surgery to drain the cyst. Shortly after he had passed out in his chair and ended up in the hospital. Turned out his blood pressure was really low and he was not getting enough oxygen. He was rushed to another hospital and later that night at like 12am he had open (heart) chest surgery and a blood clot 16 inches long was removed. He is doing a bit of therapy right now but will be home by Friday to fully recover and then will start therapy again in November. I can not give a financial donation to help with research. I think that something a cancer victim would want more that money is hair. So I give my hair to help those in need. This is the second time I have donated 10 inches to Locks of Love.

This is after my hair has been cut.

6 comments:

Sara H said...

Thanks for letting me do your hair, Sis! Next time you'll let me pluck your brows then? :) I would have so much fun and that's all that counts! ;)

Andrea said...

That's so great you do that. I have a brother-in-law (yes, you read right) that donates his hair to Locks of Love. Sadly, this is something that I will never be able to do. My hair grows SO slowly and I don't think I could stand to have it that long!

Unknown said...

I love the curls in the first pic. That's awesome you've donated again.

Wow! 16 inches! I'm amazed at how Shawn has just been a trooper with everything. I hope he heals well and therapy helps.

Deb said...

Wow. I'm glad he is doing better. Thank goodness they found everything before it was worse. Lee and I donated our hair to locks of love a few years ago. We even had a bishipric member growing his hair out to donate to locks of love. Its really a sweet story. He was out of town and he loves visiting the children in hospitals. So he stopped by the local hospital and asked if he could read a story to the children that were able to come to the common room. They said yes and he read the story and everyone loved it. After a little girl with cancer came over and told him he had beautiful hair and asked if she could have some. He of course said yes and she skipped off happily. The nurses told him that was very nice but she was terminal and didn't have much time to live. He said I will grow it anyways. He did later find out that the little girl died a few weeks after he had seen her but he made a commitment and he was going to keep it even if that little girl had died another could still use it. He told this story during sacrament (fasting testimony) because he felt that the ward should know why he wasn't the typical looking bishipric person.

Jennifer said...

I think it looks nice. It was also great to talk to you in person. I hope your trip back goes well.

Wendy Funk said...

So on my blog it still says your last post was about your new ride. So I'm glad I checked. :) I do like it long, but short is nice too. You'll have to post a super curly pic just to see.