Thursday, August 14, 2008

Errant Elbows


Part of my military training has involved hand-to-hand combat instruction known as Modern Army Combatives. We spent the whole second week of BOLC II rolling on the mat.

When you spend so much time training to fight, injuries are inevitable. Thus, the shiner that you see here.

I found myself sparring with 2LT Bob Tukuafu, a rather large Tongan certainly outside of my weight-class.

I had Bob in my guard and he was attempting to pass it. He was thrashing about and caught my eye with an errant elbow. It didn't hurt very bad at the moment so I continued the fight. He actually didn't know that he had injured me until he saw me sitting out of the next round of bouts with an ice bag on my face.

That wasn't the last time that he and I fought and I must confess my weakness: I considered getting even. It would have been so easy to throw an "accidental" groin strike or hit him in the Adam's apple. But I remembered Paul's council to the Romans:


Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
Romans 12:19

I decided to let the Lord have his way with him. I knew that Bob would regret the day that he met me!

Bob and I happen to go to the same church. A couple of weeks later I caught these 2 short videos with my camera phone.







There he was 2LT Tukuafu singing "I love to see the Temple" with the junior Primary Sunday school class (children up to age 8). And I remembered how Bob had been so apologetic, even repentant, after hurting me. Then I remembered the scripture where the Savior said,

Therefore, whoso repenteth and cometh unto me as a little child, him will I receive, for of such is the kingdom of God. Behold, for such I have laid down my life, and have taken it up again; therefore repent, and come unto me ye ends of the earth, and be saved.
3 Nephi 9:22


Yeah, I got my vengeance!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it fun? The "injuries" that look the worst are the ones that seem like nothing at the time.

A couple weeks ago we had a newbie. He was young, athletic, and really aggressive in the manner of someone who didn't know what he was doing but would make up for it with enthusiasm.

As often happens, I triangled him. (It's my specialty.) He started to stand up, but I didn't let go because I really didn't think he'd slam me. (Eventually, they learn that that's kind of rude in grappling when your life doesn't depend on it.) But slam he did, although not Rampage vs. Arona. I recovered from that in a seconded, pulled down on his head, and he tapped.

A few minutes later when we were done for the day, I saw that he had some big bruising both above and below his eye, and I asked him if he was OK, and what in the world happened.

I had no idea at the time, but when he slammed me, he managed to bash his face into the side of my knee, and gave himself a pretty good black eye.

I apologized and offered to sign it for him.


Todd